On April 2nd 2010, Michael Wright, the event organiser, tragically lost his wife and the mother of their 3 year old son to cancer. Sam was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer on December 16th 2009 and lost her brave battle 3 months later.
Sam was a member of the original festival committee, assisting in the first weeks and months of putting together the event. Following the loss of Sam, the committee worked tirelessly to make sure they delivered a successful, well organised and fun event in 2010. This has continued for the past 7 years to make Samfest a much loved, and eagerly anticipated, permanent fixture in Surrey’s events calendar.
70% of profits go to local charity Phyllis Tuckwell Hospice Care who provided much needed support to Sam and her family. The remaining 30% is donated to the local community in Tongham.